Cooking time: 45 minutes | 4 people
- 1 kg of mussels
- 1 glass of white vermouth
- 2 onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 carrots
- 300 ml of fumet (fish broth)
- 1dl of milk
- Olive oil
STEP BY STEP:
- Put the mussels to cook in a casserole; cover them and let them open over high heat. Stir them a couple of times during cooking. Drain them with a strainer and reserve a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Remove the shells and reserve them.
- Sauté the chopped onion in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over very low heat for 12 minutes. Add the minced garlic and the chopped carrots. Cook it for 2 more minutes, pour in the vermouth, increase the intensity of the heat and let it evaporate for a few moments.
- Next, cover them with the fish broth, add a few tablespoons of the cooking juice from the mussels, season with salt and pepper and cook everything together for 20 minutes. After this time, add the milk and mussels; you must reserve some to decorate. Rectify salt and grind everything with the blender until you get the cream.
- Finally, heat the cream again for a few minutes and serve it hot decorated with the reserved mussels.
If you want a thinner cream, pass it through a strainer and thicken it, if necessary, with a teaspoon of cornstarch.
*Recipe from the book 'La Hora del Vermut: 150 recetas para saborear' by Toni Monné, of which Bodegas Yzaguirre is a sponsor.